Understanding Motorcycle Accidents and Damages
Attorney Chris Olsen helps victims of motorcycle accidents recover all they are entitled to receive. Injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents can be severe, requiring competent legal representation for full compensation. Chris Olsen helps victims in San Diego, CA, collect fair reimbursement.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
When struck by another driver, motorcyclists face the risk of catastrophic injuries since they are more vulnerable than other motorists on the roadways. Motorcycle accident victims often require long-term treatment to fully recover from their injuries. The ongoing discomfort related to the injuries can take a physical and emotional toll. The extended care can also take a significant financial toll.
Co-pays, medications, and related expenses can add up quickly. Even victims with extensive medical coverage can expect to pay a substantial amount related to their therapy. Patients will most likely have to take time from work to heal. These lost wages compound the economic repercussions of a motorcycle accident.
The financial strain, physical trauma, and emotional stress of a motorcycle accident can be incredibly difficult for victims and their families. If you or a loved one has been injured while riding a motorcycle, you need experienced legal counsel who can fight for you and help you collect the compensation necessary to rebuild your life.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
In many instances, a motorcycle accident is caused by someone other than the biker. Exploring the types of motorcycle accidents provides insight into how the accident happened and the best approach for a victim to take. Types of motorcycle accidents include:
- Multiple-vehicle accidents: When a motorcycle is struck by a car or large truck, the motorcyclist often loses control and skids along the pavement. Depending on the speed and how far the bike continues in motion, several other vehicles can become involved in the accident. The more vehicles, the more likely the motorcycle rider is to sustain serious injury. Even with protective gear such as a helmet and leather clothing, significant road rash, broken bones, and head trauma can occur.
- Single-vehicle accidents: When a single car hits a motorcycle, the injuries suffered can be devastating. Motorcycles are not protected in the same way as a vehicle, given the lack of doors and safety restraints. Typically, the rider is thrown from the bike and suffers significant injuries. Deep cuts and lacerations, head injuries, internal injuries, and broken bones are among the most common types of injuries in a motorcycle accident.
- Commercial vehicles: Commercial vehicles are much larger and heavier than motorcycles, and when the two collide the results for the biker can be fatal. When a large truck or other commercial vehicle hits a motorcycle, the biker can be immediately thrown from the bike and tumble violently across the roadway.
A motorcycle accident is a unique type of personal injury and identifying the type of accident allows the victim to develop an effective strategy for recovery. When multiple cars are involved it is necessary to pinpoint which car or cars caused the accident, which is not the case for single vehicle accidents. In cases with commercial vehicles, the victim may need to make a decision as to whether to pursue damages against the driver, or against a large company. We help our clients make these important decisions and work alongside you when demanding reimbursement.
Building Your Case
Although a number of factors can cause a motorcycle accident, including poor road conditions and faulty parts, most accidents are due to careless motorists. Chris Olsen can analyze the information related to your case and determine who is at fault and if it warrants further legal action. If he takes your case, he can devise a thorough argument to help you receive maximum compensation.
Chris Olsen combines proven legal experience with a personable approach to give clients compassionate counsel and aggressive representation.
Depending on the details of your case, he may use a field expert or cutting-edge technology to simulate the accident. He may also call upon medical experts to substantiate your claim. Proving negligence in motorcycle accidents can be difficult, but Chris Olsen has the knowledge and resources to accurately illustrate the circumstances of your accident for a jury.
Proving Liability for Motorcycle Accidents
The key to every personal injury case is to prove liability. Once liability is established, a victim is able to demand compensation from the responsible party. In motorcycle accidents, proving liability involves:
- Investigating the accident to determine what happened
- Pinpointing the cause, such as a negligent driver who failed to notice the motorcycle due to inattention or distraction
- Determining if the accident was the cause of an improper lane change
- Determining whether a motorist left enough room when passing a motorcycle on the road
- Presenting evidence that the responsible party failed to exercise the care required to drive safely
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents occur when safe driving habits are violated. Common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Texting and driving
- Failing to obey traffic signals and laws
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failing to signal a lane change
- Swerving quickly in front of a motorcycle
If you have been in a motorcycle accident involving any of these violations, let us help. We will investigate the facts, determine the cause of the accident, and identify the responsible party. Our team of qualified legal professionals is experienced at negotiating payment of damages, and will take your case to court if a reasonable settlement cannot be reached.
Contact Chris Olsen Today
Chris Olsen has proven success in representing clients in a variety of personal injury cases. Over the last 10 years, he has won millions for his clients through negotiations, individual claims, and class action suits. He combines this proven legal experience with a personable approach to give clients compassionate counsel and aggressive representation in the courtroom. If you have been in a motorcycle accident, contact us online, or call our office at (619) 550-9352 for help today.